Tuesday, March 29, 2011

T-2 Days for The University of Miami Business Plan Competition

Last year at exactly this time I was working my cramped typing fingers guided by war wearied eyes. The war of of that thin red line underneath misspelled words, putting the final touches on what was to become The business plan that was deemed best written by the judges of the University of Miami Business Competition. These judges were a panel of venture capitalists, successful entrepreneurs, and professors who have spent their life studying the genesis of ideas and their transformation into economic progress.

It is the highest achievement I have achieved. I feel it is more of an achievement than Bachelors of Science in Entrepreneurship & Biology Minor or When I was honored to become a Heffner fellow. It says that of all the plans submitted, of the greatest and most competitive minds throughout the entire university, I constructed the best blueprint explaining abstract concepts as well as logistics of an entire business, revenue streams, and a plethora of detail and projections. The judges were intimidating due to their high levels of success, basically what I would hope to achieve in my life, grilling me. I was not used to this and was not my normal charismatic self.

Can't win em all, but I did get best written; and after meeting a CEO of a company I will decline to mention, but lives in the greater Cleveland area as well as SoBe who is a new family addition. Well, it was a very interesting time we spent together and Power, even the kind of power he had, does not intimidate because when it comes down to it, a man is just a man- no more. no less.

Reflecting on the past, I learned so much from the school of business and in particular, one man. THE MAN.
Ken Colwell, the Director of Entrepreneurship Programs at University of Miami.
He teaches in a unique way, very eastern thought, with zen principles. Where the student/teacher interaction is the focus of the class, and the lessons are ones that cannot be learned through an online interface, but through moments of directed epiphany.

Long story longer, the UM business competition is coming up and another will be chosen. I look forward to finding out who my successor will be.

Preview of Next Post:
I have been studying zen, and different meditation styles. My father who has cancer is very into meditation and I am spending time learning from him. It is a very good experience because we bond in a way that will continue to grow throughout my life. Next post will be my Eastern Philosophical view mixed with a previous Mid-Western raised mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment