Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Public Health Internship: It's Grrrrrrreeaat!

Health Care makes me happy, second day on the job better than first, and it just keeps getting better...

I am currently learning about targeting prenatal emergency preparedness through childbirth education. I am producing material to educate my foundation's target demographic on how to keep themselves and baby-to-be safe.

I am the only male in the entire place excepting the President. It is the Women's Health Foundation, so this is not a shocker. It makes for a great workplace environment. Everyone is super nice, its calm and laid back, and it's a position in which I am gaining valuable experience in public health.

The experience is two-fold, yes I am learning, but on top of that I'm helping people who otherwise would not get it. It's a team effort and more than that, its a caring family of people that work together. I have not seen a work environment quite like it anywhere else.




This next section is not for the faint of heart, it details the pros and cons of my previous position



Tarpon Bend Analysis: Good/Bad/Ugly
Good: I learned how to make very good drinks
I increased hand speed and balancing as well as the quickness and efficiency of my cleaning
I ate good food when I came in on my days off

Bad:
No tips.
being loathed due to the fact that I started college, and actually finished,
Catching flack for using polysyllabic words.
Paying my dues in an industry that I never wanted to spend the rest of my life in.

Ugly:
Cleaning the bathroom on a Friday night during rush time: when someone puked all over and pissed themselves. I think he may have had too much. 
In Exchange for this I was offered a Make it Great card, this is equivalent to a sticker in kindergarten.
Use of words like "mines" instead of mine.
i.e. "That drink shaka is mines dog. It's MINES!"
The word is mine, just humor me and say mine. Please. 

Conclusion: I need to be intellectually challenged to be happy. I like jobs/industries that help people and utilize emerging technology. I like management styles that are educated, wise, and friendly so that I can learn from them instead of learning what not to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment